Wiltshire residents can apply for primary and secondary school places from 1 September 2019 for September 2020 entry. Both primary and secondary school applications as well as infant to junior transfer applications can be submitted online at www.wiltshire.gov.uk from that date.
Applicants who apply online before the national deadline dates of 31 October 2019 for secondary schools and 15 January 2020 for primary schools and infant to junior transfer, will be able to log back into the online system on the national offer date to view the outcome of their application.
National offer dates in 2020 for secondary schools is 2 March 2020. For primary and infant to junior transfer national offer date is 16 April 2020.
Applications can also be submitted using the paper application form. Those who apply using the paper application will be sent a letter confirming the outcome of their application but information will not be available on national offer date.
Pauline Church, Cabinet Member for Children, Education and Skills, said: “This is a key moment for families and this isn’t a first come first served process, so I would encourage them to take time to think carefully about the preferences they put down.
“Families can visit our website where there is important information on how to follow the simple process. I’d urge families to make their preferences online where possible and ensure it’s in before the deadline day.”
As families look ahead to the next step for their child there are 10 top tips to bear in mind to make the process as swift and easy as possible:
- Apply online. You will receive immediate email confirmation that your application has been received and on National Offer Day you can log back in to the system to view the outcome of your application. Please ensure you keep your username and password in a safe place to enable you to do this.
- The person completing the application must have parental responsibility for the child
- You can apply for up to three schools. Put these in your order of preference. Naming additional preferences will not reduce your chances of securing a place for your child at your first preference school. Repeating your first preference school in the second and third preference boxes on the application does not improve your child’s chance of securing a place at your preferred school. This will only result in wasting your preferences as a school can only be considered once on each application
- If you live in Wiltshire and want to apply for a school place outside the county, you must still make your application to Wiltshire Council. We pass on your application to the relevant council where it will be considered alongside the other applications for that school.
- Visit the Wiltshire Council website to find out the designated school for your home address
- Although we are not able to guarantee an offer of a school place even if you live in the schools designated area, we recommend you name your designated school as one of your preferences.
- If you do not live in Wiltshire and want to apply for a Wiltshire school, you must make an application to your own local authority. They will then pass on your application details to us. The only exception to this are applications from children of UK service personnel.
- The deadline for primary school applications and infant to junior transfer applications is 1 September 2019 to 15 January 2020
- The deadline for secondary school applications is 1 September 2019 to 31 October 2019.
- If you apply after the deadlines you are less likely to secure a place at one of your preferred schools.